Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Directions


We head for Punjab tomorrow. I'm excited because this is what I look forward to on my India trips. Delhi is great, but the city really gets tiring after a while. Punjab is the countryside. It's fresh air. It's small farming towns and occassional cities that represent education, progess and emerging industry.

Chandigarh serves as the capital for both Punjab and Haryana (the neighboring state). It's urban plan was designed by Le Corbusier and it sits at the feet of the Himalayas. Hands down, one of the most beautiful cities in India (yes, I'm a bit biased). My dad grew up in a small town just outside of Chandigarh and my mom from Ludhihana, also not too far away. We're staying there during the wedding.

I've attached a map for you guys. Chandigarh is on the east. Amritsar, in the northwest near the Pakistan border, is the home of Harmandir Sahib (aka, the Golden Temple), the main holy temple of the Sikh religion. We'll be heading there next week. Kashmir is the pink triangle shaped region at the top of the map. Dharamshala, where the Dalai Lama lives, is far northeast. New Delhi is off the map to the south, in the state of Uttar Pradesh. We've got a six hour drive ahead of us tomorrow. Road pics to follow!

No comments: